Fuel Gauge Repair

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, DLambert@anaheim.net
Subject: Fuel Gauge Repair
From: RTriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:53:01 -0500February 2000) at 07/03/2000 01:52:10 PM
Dennis, I've been out of town and just checked the mail, so thought I'd
respond to your earlier query about calibration of your fuel gauge.  If you
haven't already been informed, there is a way to calibrate  which involves
physically adjusting (moving) the span and zero coils that are used to
"drive" the needle pointer, it's all based on magnetic strength of the
coils.  I don't have a specific procedure, as I did mine by trial and error
using a potentiometer to simulate the sender, but you can do the same just
using the sender to supply a reference signal to the gauge (actually,
probably a preferrable way to go, since you don't have to know the
resistance span of the sender).  Be sure to ground the case of the gauge
while you do this adjustment, as this is part of the circuit.  I just moved
the coils around until the zero and span were correct and the gauge was
linear in response. Additionally, as I recall, there is a shunt resistor
inside the gauge that might be bad.  I don't remember the resistance of it
now.  Got the old-timers disease, crs.  Perhaps Dan M. can fill in the
blanks, as I'm sure I've forgotten something. Having said all this,
however, I would not recommend this procedure unless you feel comfortable
working on really small wiring, as the circuit is fragile.    Good luck.
Richard