The latest on "shimmy saga"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: The latest on "shimmy saga"
From: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:08:54 +0100
Cc: ednelson@ridgenet.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Guys,
First off, a sincere thanks to all of you who have responded to my
continuing shimmy saga.  Per suggestion from many of you folks, I have
since taken another look at the driveline, mounts, etc.

OK...since the last time we spoke, I have put the TR3A back up on stands
and checked out the driveline and...

lo and behold..we've got a couple of broken mounts: one engine mount and
the trans mount are both toast.

So, we need to change all those...

My questions are:
1. where is the best source for new good mounts?
1a.  is there a good aftermarket solution/alternative to using these rubber
jobs? or do I want to stay with the stock, rubber setup?
2.  What's the easiest way to change 'em out?  My thinking was to "unload"
the motor with a shop jack, reach in there and switch 'em - am I right on
this one? or do I need to use an overhead hoist? (which I'll need to
rent...but that's ok)
3. Who's had the pleasure of doing this task? (see question 2) I could use
the coaching here.

Again, the car's owner and I thank you in advance...

Happy Fourth of July

Cheers
Thom Kuby
Porsche freak, with a TR3 in his garage...still