Re: The latest on "shimmy saga"

To: "thom kuby" <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The latest on "shimmy saga"
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:39:52 -0500
Cc: <ednelson@ridgenet.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
> My questions are:
> 1. where is the best source for new good mounts?

Be careful here, VB has some poor mounts. At the very least buy from TRF.
I've seen some other spongy mounts, maybe Moss? I bought some race front
mounts from Cambrigde Motorsports in the UK, almost 50% larger and much
firmer. I wish I had bought a dozen to re-sell to listers! Great product. On
the rear stock mount, I drilled it down the middle from the top and tapped
the hole for a threaded retainer (cut off bolt) which I peaned into a
somewhat permanent location.

> 1a.  is there a good aftermarket solution/alternative to using these
rubber
> jobs? or do I want to stay with the stock, rubber setup? 3

> 2.  What's the easiest way to change 'em out?  My thinking was to "unload"
> the motor with a shop jack, reach in there and switch 'em - am I right on
> this one? or do I need to use an overhead hoist? (which I'll need to
> rent...but that's ok)

I think removing the rear mount would help in making the front mounts easier
to install, giving more options with angles up front, and the crossmember
would still support the weight. A good floor jack, a 2x8 with shop rags
works well for lifting. The firewall is the limiting factor on the angles,
and getting the holes lined up for the front mounts is a bear. Keep the
mounts loose so you can slide them around to locate them in the engine
plate. Rear mount is cake.

Bob Kramer
TR6, TR4A, Devin TR
Hill Country Triumph Club