pale yellow(s)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: pale yellow(s)
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:17:36 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi all,

Just to muddy the waters some more, I will share my experience with Jasmine
yellow on my 69 GT6.

First, the old DuPont book from the 70's shows a completely different yellow
(much darker and "creamier") than what was on my car from day 1.

Second,  on my project the painter used Glasurit base/clear and started with
a Jaguar yellow from the late 80's and tinted it.  (This bit could get long
but...) In three different mixes, one came out looking "black", one came out
with the "green" cast someone referred to,  but the bits that had the first
batch were just lovely with a warm buttery colour (sort of had a patina of
age, old E type look, except for the brilliant shine of the 2 pack).

Recently I had our local paint dealer do a ChromaScan ( or something
computerised) on the roof of the car.  What did it do?  It tinted a 1959
Pontiac colour !!!

Given the timeframe, I suspect that the Jasmine we are all looking for
originated in this GM colour and quite likely was used on TR3's as well with
a tint to match the character of the car.  After all,  why would Triumph
have copied an "American" colour to put on cars that were all the rage (and
Bread and Butter) in America?!?  I'm sure that's what they did.  (BTW,  the
Kastner S4 cam is also a variant on the early 327 350 BHP Chev HiPo cam,
according to my cam guy in Vancouver.  Thieves?  No, just resourceful!)

Dave T
Winnipeg