I'm back...it's home...that smell...the joy

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: I'm back...it's home...that smell...the joy
From: Dan Orie <dorie@stetson.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:06:49 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello All;
    After a brief dalliance with a car from the dark side, I've come to my
senses and returned home to Triumphs and/or Triumph based autos, so I've
subscribed again to this list.
    About two months back I was surfing the net and came across an unusual
Triumph in the Motherland that I had to have. Well, I bought it sight unseen
(expect for 7 photos) and after a bit of negotiation and the arrangement of
shipping and finally arriving in port and going through customs, it is now
sitting in my garage, and not driving around the streets of London.
It's a 1967 Triumph Vitesse Estate. After doing a bit of research  I have
some doubts that it's one of the original few dozen or so Vitesses that got
converted to Estates with the blessing of Triumph, but it's definitely a
Vitesse and not a converted Herald estate. The car is in extremely solid
shape with no rust or patching done anywhere underneath. It has some weak
points but it is a great driver that is definitely quicker than my TR6 that
I had many years back. This could be due to the fact that there is zero
emissions equipment, or maybe the engine has been somewhat modified - though
I don't have any mechanical receipts for it.
The first time I sat in it at the Jacksonville FL. port, it was a sensory
delight. From the wood dash to the unique lines and most of all the smell.
It has that British car smell. I can't describe it but I really missed that
unmistakable aroma, and it felt like coming home.
Driving it the 100 miles home was an adventure. I was told by the seller
that it wouldn't have any problems, but you never know. My wife drove her
car and we brought every tool, fluid, implement and persuader that I've ever
used in my 25 year involvement with British autos. We also had 2 cell phones
and a AAA card in case. After experiencing a couple hours of problems with
it cutting out at the port, I checked every connection and reseated the
rotor and distributor cap and drove off without any more problems since. The
car was rock solid even at 85 mph, but I really need to get the overdrive
working.  The temperature gauge stayed in the middle, even while cruising at
70 mph on a 90 degree day. It is such a joy to drive that it brings a smile
to my face, and I find myself making excuses to drive it.
Anyway, I've rambled enough - thanks for listening. Thanks to Andy Mace for
providing me with some information during the early stages of this deal.
Dano in Daytona Beach
67 Triumph Vitesse Estate