temp compensators on ZS Carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: temp compensators on ZS Carbs
From: "sujit roy" <sujitroy@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:22:54 PDT
Cc: sujitroy@yahoo.com
After a long drive and after tinkering with my carbs on my Stag, the car
idles at 1500 rpm.  Initially when started from cold, the rpm sits around
800 to 1000. Adjusting the idle screw to their minimum setting has no
effect. From what I've read, the compensators consists of a bi-metal strip
and open up a valve when they become warm.  The valve opens up an air
passage and consequently lets more air into the engine, thus letting in more
fuel and hence the increase in idle.  I looked at the article on the VTR web
site and found that the Stags compensators open at around 160.  The article
mentioned ones that open up at around 120 or so.
What is the main reason for these compensators and is there a way of keeping
the idle speed down?  The Stag is an automatic and selecting drive or
reverse happens with a violent jolt.
Can anyone help?

Sujit