OD A-Type -- Dismantling Question

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD A-Type -- Dismantling Question
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 7 2000 10:40:38 GMT-0400
Cc:
Lister,

To well of knowledge again.

I am trying to gently dismantle my OD.  It is separated from the GBX and it
looks very clean and no signs of heavy wear.  There are some metal bits about
the size of rice or smaller in the bottom of the front casing from the mashed
swirl gear on the annulus shaft.  I can see that through the hole where there
was no speed drive assembly installed.  The was also no front cover on GBX and
a bent cross shaft with evidence of a "bad thing" happening with the clutch.  I
am assuming a racing history, although I have no info at all.

To the question... I can't seem to get the back half to separate from the front
half.  The previous rebuilder used a very strong sealer that is dark red in
color on both sides of the brake ring.  I have used the trusy rubber mallet on
the mounting feet to try to break the seal to no avail.  My next step was to
use a brass drift and hammer on the protruding tabs of the brake ring.  I am
afraid to bend or otherwise damge the ring. It is likely made of unobtainium.

I have a 12 ton shop press in the "mail" from HB that I plan to use for the
rebuild.  Is there a trick to getting these apart safely?

TIA

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4 CT16260L  Groton,MA
TR4 Website www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/home.html