Round the world in 80 days

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Round the world in 80 days
From: "The Brooks'" <TR3A@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 22:38:09 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Scions,

Yesterday I was looking for a schedule or plan for the rally cars.  Well, I
didn't find all the cars, but when I called the local shop to confirm that
I could stop off to pick up the used gearboxes (only one, rats!) I was
pleasantly surprised to find out that the two Austin Healey 3000's from the
rally were in for service, before heading out of the port of Newark, NJ to
be containerized to go to Morocco.  The cars, number 83 and 79 were driven
by Peter and Ann Hunt and Rick Dyke-Price/Stuart Onyett respectively, were
pretty neat, with short sidepipes, installed spare coils, etc., etc. , and
crammed to the gills with spares and other stuff.  One of them had modified
TR6 wheels, with splines and knockoffs bolted up on them, to give them the
"period" look.  Both cars had some serious aluminum removable skid plates,
but still had a fair bit of frame damage; nothing serious, but lots of
dents and dings.  Each also needed one rear hub seal, which is a lot easier
on a A-H 3000 than a TR2-6, a fact which I find really annoying.

These two teams were having a great time in the rally and while I as there
having a great time beating up on me mercilessly because there were no
Triumphs in the rally.  "What's up with that?"

In any event, it was a interesting afternoon.  A few folks from the local
A-H club showed up, but mostly it was just the owner of the shop, myself
and three of the four members of these two teams, talking about the race,
their experiences all over the world and the US.  I count myself fortunate
to have chanced into this unique opportunity.

Later,

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, NJ
1960 TR3A TS69032LO