seats

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: seats
From: "ronnie babbitt" <rbtr3a@flintemc.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 13:35:15 -0400
Hi List,
My e-mail has been acting strange, I'm not sure if this was posted or not so
i will post again.
I built a set of spring bottoms from an old mattress (Childs) I found on the
side of the road. The mattress was made from  individual coils bound
together with clips and surrounded by a metal wire frame. I separated all
coils. shaped the existing wire to the shape of my current frame, when
welded the wire closed. Repeat for top, which is larger in diameter. You now
have the upper and lower frame. Next I placed each coil into the lower frame
to set spacing. Once coils are in place I used plastic zip strips to temp.
hold coils to the frame and to each other, upon binding all coils  placed
upper ring on top of the coils and bound them. It will be necessary to  over
lap  coils at the rear of seat for it is narrower. Once all bound, and
spaced as desired  I replace all plastic zip strips with metal upholstery
clip. Now I have a nice seat frame for about $15.00 (cost of  upholstery
pliers and rings) Almost forgot, since the rear of the frame is not as tall
in height as the front of the frame I compressed the coils to desired height
at rear, then laced the perimeter of the entire frame using electric fence
wire. This bound the complete assembly to the desired shape and height and
provided lateral stability. Now you have a completed seat bottom.  look
great, sit's wonderfully and you can't beat the price.

Ronnie Babbitt
1960 tr3a
ts71887L