TR6 rear hub question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 rear hub question
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:34:20 -0400
Gentlemen,
In my on-going quest to rid the Mistress of the shakes, I've inspected the
rear hubs and found a bit of play in them. Bentley calls out 0.002-0.005"
runout in the bearings. From a practical stand-point, what does that sort
of play feel like? When grasped top/bottom or side to side, I can get the
wheel to "rattle", but it's not so bad as a clunk. Is this within the range
or is a rebuild in order?

The reason for this quest is an annoying vibration at speeds over 55-60 MPH
which tends to diminish somewhat above 70. I have rebuilt and balanced the
prop shaft and half-shafts and the vibration is not coming from the front
wheels, as there is no pronounced shake in the steering. The be$t cour$e
would be to just order new hubs and half-shafts, but I'm too fond of
regular meals and indoor living.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (23 year owner)