Re: TR6 intermittent miss

To: canada@voyageronline.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 intermittent miss
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:09:22 EDT
In a message dated 00-07-10 16:05:41 EDT, canada@voyageronline.net writes:

<< Bottom line:  the problem is almost unnoticeable for the first 15
 minutes or so after warming up regardless of rpms or engine loading.  It's
 very noticeable after that at lower rpms under load.

 The engine is original with a legitimate 53,000 miles on it. >>

Ian,

So far I haven't seen any suggestions to look at your emissions equipment
and, from your symptoms plus the originality of your engine, I assume that
your still running the air pump, gulp valve, etc.

During warmup on the federal emissions engines, there are certain vacuum
related events aided by temperature sensors that occur to correct over-rich
cold engine conditions while trying to preserve drivability.  If these
"events" don't happen or don't happen as planned, fuel mixture can be
affected which will affect performance.  I may have missed this but does
pulling the choke out during the poor running episodes change anything?

If your problem continues after you've ruled out the ignition system as a
sorce, check the vacuum lines for cracks, breaks, kinks....better yet, if you
have access to a diagnostic flow chart, check the operation of the air pump,
plumbing, vac/temp sensors, heat strips on the carbs, etc.

Good luck,

Chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (basking in the sun!)