That clunking sound....

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: That clunking sound....
From: "Picard, Pierre" <Pierre@incognito.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:21:37 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"

Fellow listers,

My girlfriend, to whom I lent my running TR-6 this summer to validate my
time spent restoring the other TR-6, told me about a "new" clunking sound.

I took her ( the TR ) for a  drive and indeed, a pronounced clunk from the
rear. Only happens in first when you start off, also when you ease off the
gas and accelerate in traffic, and a wee bit when engaging second gear. My
first guess is a diff issue. Either the pinion gears are getting worn, the
diff mount rubbers are shot or the diff frame mount has fractured. Missing
anything?

Would anyone venture the proper steps and order to investigate in tracking
down the culprit clunk?

I'm thinking telling her it is a terminal problem and to park the car. The
attention she gets in that car is going to her head!  ;  )