Re: That clunking sound....

To: Pierre@incognito.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: That clunking sound....
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:51:17 EDT
In a message dated 11-Jul-00 15:31:19 Eastern Daylight Time,
Pierre@incognito.com writes:

>  I took her ( the TR ) for a  drive and indeed, a pronounced clunk from the
>  rear. Only happens in first when you start off, also when you ease off the
>  gas and accelerate in traffic, and a wee bit when engaging second gear. My
>  first guess is a diff issue. Either the pinion gears are getting worn, the
>  diff mount rubbers are shot or the diff frame mount has fractured. Missing
>  anything?

Pierre,  Had the same problem with my TR4.  Found two things 1) Loose rear
transmission mount and 2) worn bushings on the gas pedal assembly (the
bushings are on the firewall where the assembly goes accross the engine bay.
The latter fix meant that when I accelerated the rod moved and made a noise
which I swore was coming from the rear end.  It wasn't.  If  all else fails
check those out.  Please let us know whatever you find.  Cheers.

Art Kelly