RE: TR4 rebuilt won't start

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 rebuilt won't start
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:18:55 -0700
John :

Start by fixing the stuck float/needle valve (you should not have fuel
coming out of the vent), then try again.

Still no luck ? Try giving it a few sniffs of starting ether.  If still no
joy, pull the plugs and have a look.  If they look OK (not wet with fuel or
fouled), try putting a plug wire on one and laying it on the valve cover,
then cranking the engine and looking at the spark.  It should look fat, hot
and regular.

As Eric suggested, make sure your timing isn't 180 degrees out (although if
that's the problem, the engine could not have run for a few seconds).  (I'm
not the friend he mentioned, but I have BTDT <g>)  It's also worth double
checking the cam timing on a new motor, so my suggestion would be to remove
the rocker cover and turn the engine forward until #4 exhaust is just
closing and #4 intake is just opening.  Then check the TDC mark on the
front pulley, to see that it is close to the pointer.  (If the #4 valves
are both open the same amount, the TDC mark should be exactly at the
pointer.)  And check to see that the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder
contact.  With the mark aligned with the pointer, the points should have
just opened, so use a voltmeter or test light to see that they are open.
 You can also shine a light into either #1 or #4 plug hole, and see if the
piston is at TDC.

Randall