RE: TR4 rebuilt won't start

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 rebuilt won't start
From: Sebastian King <sebking@freeuk.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:58:08 +0100
been here with a spitfire - previous owner 'rebuilt' engine and it
wouldn't start - then he put it in a shed for 7 years until we bought
it and turned the ignition back 180 degrees...

Cam timing was a bit suspect too.

At 2:18 PM -0700 7/12/00, Randall Young wrote:
>John :
>
>Start by fixing the stuck float/needle valve (you should not have fuel
>coming out of the vent), then try again.
>
>Still no luck ? Try giving it a few sniffs of starting ether.  If still no
>joy, pull the plugs and have a look.  If they look OK (not wet with fuel or
>fouled), try putting a plug wire on one and laying it on the valve cover,
>then cranking the engine and looking at the spark.  It should look fat, hot
>and regular.
>
>As Eric suggested, make sure your timing isn't 180 degrees out (although if
>that's the problem, the engine could not have run for a few seconds).  (I'm
>not the friend he mentioned, but I have BTDT <g>)  It's also worth double
>checking the cam timing on a new motor, so my suggestion would be to remove
>the rocker cover and turn the engine forward until #4 exhaust is just
>closing and #4 intake is just opening.  Then check the TDC mark on the
>front pulley, to see that it is close to the pointer.  (If the #4 valves
>are both open the same amount, the TDC mark should be exactly at the
>pointer.)  And check to see that the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder
>contact.  With the mark aligned with the pointer, the points should have
>just opened, so use a voltmeter or test light to see that they are open.
> You can also shine a light into either #1 or #4 plug hole, and see if the
>piston is at TDC.
>
>Randall
>
>On Wednesday, July 12, 2000 1:08 PM, John Howard [SMTP:trjhhow7@home.com]
>wrote:
> >
> > Well listers, I give up.A full day trying to start the new engine and no
> > results. Actually, it fired once for a few seconds, then nothing since.

1974 Mini 850 otherwise known as Marvin
1966 Triumph TR4A IRS
1970 Triumph Spitfire MKIII
1997 Volvo V40 T4