Re: GT-6 (TR-6?) electrical question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Aribert_Neumann@mail.magna.on.ca
Subject: Re: GT-6 (TR-6?) electrical question
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:47:24 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/2000 2:07:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Aribert_Neumann@mail.magna.on.ca writes:

>  My '71 GT-6 has two electrical wires going to the ballast resistor.  One
> wire supplies 12+ volt to the resistor (color is beige (may have been white
or
> tan). THe second wire (also colored beige) is coupled with the ballast
resistor
> output wire (coil supply voltage).  I assumed that the wire that couples
with the
>  ballast resistor output supplies a full 12+volt to the coil when cranking
> the  engine - correct?
>
>  On my car the second wire that ties in at the ballast resistor output does
> not  have any voltage at all when disconnected from the resistor and the
key is
> in  the crank mode.  Assuming that this is wrong where does this supply
wire get
> its  current from (my Bentley's manual does not even show the ballast
resistor in
> the  electrical diagram.   Please help.  For those of you that bought a
copy of
> Dan  Master's electrical book - any insight?   I assume the GT-6 and TR-6
> electrical  systems must be the same in this respect.

Aribert,

Your ballast resister should have one white wire connected to one end, and
two white with yellow stripe wires connected to the other end. The white wire
is from the ignition key, and has 12 volts on it when the key is on. One of
the w/y wires goes to the coil and has 6 volts on it when the key is on and
the starter is NOT operating. The other w/y wire goes to either a starter
relay, if your car has a starter relay, or to the starter solenoid, if it
doesn't.  I believe the 71 GT6 does not have a relay, but you will need to
check. Look at your starter solenoid. In addition to the two large terminals,
there will be either one or two smaller terminals. Of these two smaller
terminals, one should be a bit smaller than the other. The larger of the two
will have a white/red wire on it, which is the starte signal from the
ignition key, and the smaller terminal will have the other end of the w/y
wire from the ballast resistor. When the solenoid is energized, this smaller
terminal is connected internally to the battery cable, supplying the full 12
volts to the coil via the w/y wire.

If this matches your configuration, check to see if you are getting 12 volts
on the w/y wire at the solenoid. If not, your solenoid is bad. If so, you
have a break or a bad connection in the w/y wire to the resistor.

If your solenoid doesn't have the w/y wire connected, then your car has a
starter relay. The other end of the w/y wire will then be found attached to
one of the "C" terminals on the relay, and there should be 12 volts here when
the starter is operating. If so, you have a break in the w/y wire to the
resister, If not, the relay is bad.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I'm on the digest version now, while
I'm printing books (and I'm also trying to catch up on the "honey-dos" that
stacked up while I was writing the book).

Dan