Re: TR6 Engine Rebuild ~ your opinions

To: BennettDat@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine Rebuild ~ your opinions
From: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:08:34 -0400
Bob:

My 1976 TR6 is currently undergoing an engine overhaul, but it wasn't
running right. You did not say how many miles it had on it nor what the oil
pressure was- two key factors. I learned that it is important to check the
crankshaft end-float (procedure available thru archives)  and bearing wear-
two things easily done by just yanking the oil pan and doing the tests.  I
have found out that the thrust washers should be replaced every 50-60K
miles along with the main and rod bearings. It turns out that my engine
chewed up  two lobes on the cam along with scoring the 2nd main bearing
journal on the crank. This with only only 55,000 miles on the odometer
(albeit, hard miles for the most part.)  Everything else in this tough
little engine is within spec.  I have also learned that even if you do a
lot of the work yourself, that it will cost you anywhere between $2,000 to
$4,000 depending on how much work you do and where you live, and how much
machine work has to be done,  to have the engine rebuilt right. There is no
such thing as a cheap rebuild.

Just my 2 cents,

Jeff Johnson
1976 TR6 -original owner