Re: Brake Lights

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Lights
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 9:56:02 EDT
Cc: cdavies@holzher.com
Cliff wrote:
>I keep having grounding problems with my brake lights
on his '73 TR6

I fought this long ago on my '72.  Some may question the
solution I used, but it has held up for awhile.

There are actually 3 ground connections to be concerned
about.  Two obvious, one not so obvious.

1)  Connection between lamp base and socket.  Obvious.
    Clean, and put back together.
2)  The star shaped thing which snaps into the tail light
    housing.  Obvious.  Clean, be sure edge of housing
    is bare metal (not paint), maybe bend the star springs
    for a bit more tension.
3)  Connection between the lamp socket and the star clip.
    Not so obvious.  This is what gave me grief.  I'm
    working from memory (and I seem to remember that to
    be dangerous!) but I think these are held together by
    a rivet or crimp connection.  After several unsuccessful
    sessions trying to make this better, I broke out the
    old Weller soldering gun and flowed the connection
    with solder.  That particular ground hasn't bothered
    me since.

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com
'72 TR6