TR4 rebuild starts!

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 rebuild starts!
From: John Howard <trjhhow7@home.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:21:45 -0400
Thanks to your encouragement and advice, the engine started up this pm
on first try, choke only. This is what I did:

Took the carbs off, heaved the new needle valves and put in a semi-pair
I had knocking about. Tightened them down snugly. Rechecked the float
height. Got the metering needle seated properly, i think.

Following Randall's instructions, turned the engine until #4 exhaust
just closed and #4 intake just opened. Lo and behold, the TDC mark on
the pulley was just before the pointer! And the rotor pointed at #1
cylinder! So, all was well. I then used my test lamp to get the points
just opening, and tightened down the dis. Gapped and installed new plugs.

Holding my breath and telling no one, I turned the key under full choke
only, and she burst immediately into song. The only thing spoiling a
perfect day is that that pretty yellow 250 fan made a nice rapping sound
as it clipped the frame on  the way around. Not a problem.

So, I'm underway. Next is to get her down and se if the gearbox and od work!

Many thanks to all who responded to my plea, and best wishes.

John