Re: TR Rear Crank Seal

To: Pat <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Subject: Re: TR Rear Crank Seal
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 00:21:28 -0700
Cc: TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Pat wrote:

> I understand that if one does a little grinding of the rear of the crank ???
> a full (360 degree) oil seal can be fitted rather than the "Two haves" as
> per normal seal ?
>
> Do any of you know anything about this ?

The kit is sold by Moss and others, it basically consists of a new
aluminum housing that takes a modern lip-type seal.  The seal is still
split (has to be, because of the size of the flywheel flange), but the
two halves are held together by a spring.  Properly installed, the
result is a seal that is much better able to resist any excess blowby
without leaking.  It's quite popular with the racers, who are probably
more likely to suffer excess blowby, and can be kicked off the track for
'marking their spot'.

However, the installation sounds a bit "fiddly" to me, and a poorly
installed seal will apparently leak even worse than a factory scroll
seal.  See http://englishcars.com/trsc/tech%20articles/mainseal.htm for
some tips.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver