Re: dum dum as seelastic

To: Dave Terrick <dterrick@home.com>
Subject: Re: dum dum as seelastic
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:52:55 -0600
Cc: dhl@chelseamsl.com, triumphs@autox.team.net

Dave Terrick wrote:

> Moat of the other seams can be done with "flexible seam sealer", that is,
> seams between floor and rocker, etc.  Its use in holding fenders on was
> common, but those who have used the new product lately have complained about
> shrinkage and/or cracking.  Perhaps our body guys are using it wrong, or
> maybe the modern stuff doesn't like all the chassis flex that we"ignore"

We use several items in production, some of which may be available in
small quantities. Perhaps the most frequently used (unfortunately,
because it's used to hide a lot of mistakes) is Sikaflex. Think it comes
in white and black, is available in caulk tubes, and is very flexible.
Is classed as an adhesive sealant and is quite tough when cured. It can
be painted (definitely with urethanes and polyurethanes, but not sure
about acrylic enamel).

The second is Dolphinite, which might be available in gallon cans, and
is a rubberized adhesive sealant. It's applied with a brush, and sticks
like shit to a blanket on bare metal. Don't think it can be painted,
though. Strictly for sealing panels out of view.

The last I can think of is used to fill voids between close-fitting
panels to keep them from rattling against each other and is made by 3M.
This stuff, I think, is only available in five-gallon pails or drums.
I'll check on the name and part number today.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM