Re: Starter identity

Subject: Re: Starter identity
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:48:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Frank & Sandy Crowe wrote:

> I think I have an "early" starter in my "later " '59 TR3A.  Serial number is
> TS55223L, and Moss, VB, etc. show starter changing at TS50000.  Mine I think
> is an early one - has the bull-nose or cover over the bendix gear.  VB
> cataloge shows a different looking one for TS50000 and up.
>
> Is this correct or common, or do I have an earlier transmission/flywheel in
> my car or what????

It's not correct, but it is pretty common.  The early starter works fine
with the later transmission (it's the other way 'round that doesn't
work), but the flywheel really should match the starter.  The flywheel
teeth are pointed on the side that the starter gear engages from (early
starters engage from the engine side, later starters engage from the
transmission side).

However, it's not too unusual to find a mismatched starter/flywheel.

> Had the starter begin to grind occasionally - removed it and found the  ends
> of the Bendix gear teeth are kind of flat.  Thought they were supposed to be
> pointed?  What shape are the teeth????

They are originally pointed, but only one side is cut at an angle.

> More importantly, the rear bearing is missing!  No wonder it didn't seem to
> work well.

Wow !  I'm amazed it worked at all.  Usually, if the rear bearing is
just badly worn, the armature will drag so much on the pole pieces that
it won't turn the engine.

> If the bendix gear is shot, I guess  I had better look into
> getting a new starter......

Check out the flywheel teeth (and the tranny housing) so you can get the
right starter.  If the flywheel teeth are badly chewed, consider
replacing them too.

Randall
59 TR3A - with an early starter and no crank hole