TR-4A: Oil pan, diff drain plug leaks

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Subject: TR-4A: Oil pan, diff drain plug leaks
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:51:17 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by John Cowan
>     I replaced the engine oil and differential oil in my '66 solid axle
TR-4A recently.  Both drain plugs are leaking heartily and I can't see any
problem with any of the threads.  I bore down on the oil pan drain nut and
slowed the leak, but am concerned about stripping the threads.
     Has anyone encountered this problem?  A friend suggested using teflon
tape.  Does that sound ok?  Also, I thought maybe one of the brass oil pan
drain plugs with the magnet insert might work better.  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.
     Thanks.
John Cowan
<

Teflon tape is sure to solve this problem.  But take care.  You don't want
any teflon shavings loose in the oil system where they can obstruct the oil
flow.  Wrap the plug such that the last two threads toward the inside) are
free of tape so that the shavings that inevitably occur stay on the plug or
fall away outside.

Or check out an industrial supply house for some teflon impregnated
brushable pipe dope.  This type of dope has particles small enough to not
cause trouble.

Worked for me.

Dave