Finale - Chemical paint/rust stripping

To: "TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Finale - Chemical paint/rust stripping
From: "Dave" <ldave@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:45:16 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
To all on the list ~

Brian Hubbard up in Canada offered to round up some info on paint /
rust stripping
based on my question to the list earlier, and it seemed like really
excellent info to
share with the list.

To Brian - Thanks for all the effort, you outdid yourself!
To all the listers who responded as well - all your info is in my TR
file and is most
wonderfully appreciated!

NOW I know why I wanted to get back into the TR game....the people.
[yea, the car has
something to do with it too....]

Dave in Seattle
TR250 CD 7891/L

=============
Spoke to "John" on the phone.  Apologized for the delay, too much work
and some computer problems a couple of weeks ago, but he has your
request and will respond via e-mail.  He will get "Jen" to mail you a
brochure.

Border documentation: Usually no problem as long as the registration
is
with the vehicle.  Occasionally there might be a bit of a hassle going
back into the US, depending which side of bed the US border officer
got
out of in the morning.  No Canadian taxes payable.

Chemicals are flushed with a 3500 psi rinse, followed by a 120 degree
(Celsius I presume) drying oven.  Any residue shows as a white powder
which is easily removed.

In general the 4 tank process sounds very thorough:

Tank 1) Hot dip paint stripper, wash.
Tank 2) Hydrochloric acid 7%, neutralize, wash, dry.

At this point you would ship the car home (well covered or in an
enclosed truck) and prime it.  Or, if welding is necessary do that
then
prime.  Tanks 3 & 4 are optional and would mean sending the car back
again if you are doing the priming yourself. Or it may be cheaper to
have the priming done here if you intend to go through the full 4 step
process.

Tank 3) Electrolytic de-rusting (also gets rid of welding residue),
pacifying wash.
Tank 4) Zinc phosphate dip, wash, dry.

It all sounded so wonderful I asked him to send me a brochure too. Not
that I intend doing this to my TR8 in the near future but in the words
of Fats Waller, "One never knows, do one?".  Glad to be of help.