not selling but gt6+ rear suspension headache

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: not selling but gt6+ rear suspension headache
From: Chip Jones <chip@zinniadesign.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:35:15 -0500 (CDT)
Last week I posted thinking I was going to sell the car, but I tuned it
up Saturday and have fallen in love again. So here's the next thing I'm
thinking about doing:

My gt6 has the rotoflex lower wishbone suspension. Long ago the bushings
in the wishbones rotted away and the steel insets fused to the bolts. I
was told by a mechanic that it would take many many hours at $80 / hr to
replace the bushings.

What is the best way to proceed? Do I have any hope
of getting the bolts out without a torch. Would a large shop vise and an
oversized socket work an extractor to push out the bolts?

Or should I consider scrapping the rear suspension and replacing it with
the swing spring setup like from a MKIV spitfire or later? Is the swing
spring really superior handling to the one I have?

Thanks for all input.

Chip Jones
St. Louis, MO.