Ignition Switch -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition Switch -
From: "Bromiel, James E (Jim)" <bromiel@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 06:20:50 -0500
Listers

Yesterday, after filling my gas tank on my 74 TR6, I tried to start the
engine, nothing
happened when I turned the key.  I felt a loose wire under the dash. and
noticed it pulled
out of its solderless connector.  I reached for my toolbox and quickly
recrimped the connector
with the wire inside.  I tried the ignition again, still nothing,  I removed
the back portion
of the ignition switch to find another loose connection, this one was a
thick brown wire that
seemed to go to either terminal 5 or 3. First I tried terminal 3. Turned the
ignition switch
nothing, then I tried terminal 5.  The engine started.  Twice while driving
home the engine
would start missing and die.  but would restart.  When I got home and tried
to turn the
ignition off the engine kept running.  I finally popped the clutch with my
foot on the brake
to kill the engine.  when I removed the back of the ignition switch it was
hot.

Looking at the rear section of the ignition switch  I have the following
wiring

terminal                wire
-----------           ---------
1                  White/Red  - Thick
2                  Brown/Red  &
                    White/Brown
3                  Brown - Thin
                    (empty connector)
5                  Black - Thin

The rear section of the switch has the number 157SA (its Lucas)

My Bentley manual shows
terminal            wire
----------          -------
1                  white/red
2                  (2) brown/red
3                  (3) white
5                  no connection

Should be looking for another loose wire, I'm supprised that I only have one
wire on terminal
3 and the manual shows three.  (also I think I have a sports coil, because I
read an output
of 12V when the engine is running,  Reading taken before this problem
happen.  I replaced
the points with the Ignitor electronic ignition.)

Does the ignition ground out when the switch is in the off position?

I'll do more searching under the dash tonight.  I wasn't able to do to much
last night.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jim Bromiel