My brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: My brakes
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:10:55 -0500
For all of you who have been on the edges of your chairs wondering if I've
figured out why my front brakes lock up every time I bleed them (or for the
4-5 of you who even knew this was going on), the suspense is over!

Turns out the bleed nipple on the left front caliper was rusted inside (the
supposed-to-be-smooth area where the hole is, between the threads and the
pointed end). I removed it and tried to clean/smooth it off, but still no
go. The hole was clear, but the roughness on the business end was apparently
preventing me from bleeding properly (I did sweat nicely though!). Pulled a
spare off of one of my later vintage calipers, nice and smooth at the end,
bled the brakes - for about the sixth time - and voila! Brakes!!!! Went
through about a 1/2 gallon+ of brake fluif, but who's counting.

This repair would have cost me about $50-$60 if I'd been using silicone! Now
that I've gotten it right though, perhaps I'll switch!

Anyway, thought I'd mention this in case any of you are having similar
problems...check those bleed nipples!

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O!