Re: 80 TR7 questions

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: 80 TR7 questions
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 05:00:08 -0600
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Tony Rhodes wrote:

> Yes, the year is a 1980, and it seems as if I have 80 questions too.
>
> I just got a TR7 shipped to me from texas.  Actually it is my wife's, since
>it once
> belonged to her father.  It seems as if the key to the glovebox and the trunk
> is missing in action.  Yes, the spare keys are in the glove box!  Is there
> any way to open the glovebox without damaging the plastic parts???

There is a metal guard behind the glove box which protects a small rack
of relays and fittings. If you can get that off, it's possible that you
may be able to poke out the fuse cover. Once the light auto-breaker is
pulled out of the way, that leaves about a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" access hole.
>From there, you might be able to get a telescoping magnet through the
hole and fish around for the keys. Disconnect the battery cable
first--there's a _lot_ of wiring back there. (!)

> Also, there is some rubber edging around the wheel wells.  Some of it is
>loose.
> Is this a factory fitting?  How do I get it securely affixed again?

Two possibilities. If formerly glued on, get the 3M yellow weatherstrip
cement, known in racing circles as "gorilla snot." If pop-riveted,
simply drill out the old rivets, and install new ones along with backup
washers at the points where the edging tore through. If you never want
them to come off again, glue _and_ pop rivet. <smile>

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM