Re: TR6 Brake screech

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "Picard, Pierre" <Pierre@incognito.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Brake screech
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:04:31 +1200charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Pierre

Speaking from the same experience with my Stag...

Something else to check is the state of the calipers, specifically the
seals. These seals deform when pressure is applied to the brake pedal and
pull the piston back sufficiently when the pedal is released, but when they
get old and stiff, they stay deformed... This leaves the pad touching the
rotor just enough to set up a squeal. Eventually the pads become glazed
which reduces their performance and they are also more prone to fade, since
they never cool down as well.

Have new seals installed in the calipers. Also check the state of the
pistons and replace / resleeve where necessary...

David Greed
1974 Stag Man O/D
1979 2500S Man O/D

Email: Home: greed@wave.co.nz