Re: TR6 Clutch job

To: "Bryce Milton" <Bryce@Milton.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch job
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:50:02 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Brice
I don't know which is the correct size for the TR6, I have a sedan which is
the same engine /Basic box, I believe the input shaft dia differs between
the two, also I believe the TR6 Box comes out upwards through the car as the
chassis prevents removal downwards, the sedan comes out downwards as the
tunnel for the box is fixed in. Once you have the tunnel cover removed from
your car it should be easy to get the bolts over the top, unlike the sedan
where you have to lower the back of the box slightly then feed about 2 1/2
feet of extensions up through the gear stick hole to reach the top nuts,
there are other methods but I have found that way is quickest! Yes get the
release bearing, it is probably that making all the noise, and no it is not
worth changing only that, whilst you are doing the hard labour, I would say
change it all, including the taper bolt that holds the release bearing fork
to the cross shaft, others on the list have gone even further and added a
roll pin through the assembly to increase the strength. I would also fit new
bearings for the cross shaft, I generally fit the new ones in addition to
the old ones though it would be better to get four new ones and remove the
old ones completely. The quiet whirring noise is quite common and perfectly
acceptable, you could possibly remedy that with a gearbox rebuild but it
often remains to some extent, so I wouldn't bother unless you feel a touch
of shipwrights coming on! Whilst you are under the car it would be worth
pulling the boot on the slave cylinder and seeing if it is wet inside, if it
is wet rather than just having a light film of fluid on the bore, you may as
well do the seal on the slave cyl, or have I got shipwrights now!

Graham.