Re: Flywheel Botls and Locknuts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel Botls and Locknuts
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:56:42 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Just a word to the wise...

The "lock tabs" that were used on the earlier big TR's were not without
problems. If the bolts were torqued too tightly, the lock tab crushes
enough so that the flywheel can move around a bit. If this is the case,
there are several catastrophic failure modes but in many cases the bolt
heads shear off.

If you're lucky, you get a vibration and you shut everything off before
the flywheel comes loose. If you're not lucky - well you could kiss a
flywheel bye-bye. If you're really unlucky - well, let's just us our
imagination and think about where the flywheel is in relation to your
feet and lower extremities.

At any rate, the modern "correct" method of flywheel attachement is to
make sure the threads are clean and dry and then apply Loctite RED and
torque to spec.

However, make sure the bolts don't "bottom out" in the crank! If the
bolts do bottom out (say as in the case where you use a non-standard spec.
fastener) then the flywheel isn't really "secure" anyway and - bye-bye
flywheel.

As to the orignal question, I haven't seen a TR6 with a locking tab. I
have seen them on "tractor TR's".

Regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |