Re: Cost for bodywork

To: bstinocher@unipres.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cost for bodywork
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:42:10 -0400
At 7:59 AM -0500 8/18/00, bstinocher@unipres.com wrote:
"Anyway, I had a guy come over and look at my bodywork. I thought I was
about 95% done, and wanted someone to finish up and paint the car. He
looked at it and said that there is still a lot to do (ouch, my ego!), but
that he would finish up all the work and paint it for $2,500. ....My wife
thought it is a fair price. I'm not sure. What is the going rate to make a
car look really straight?"

There's a lot more to this than may seem apparent. As someone suggested,
have a look at this fellow's work. Like many things, there is a big
difference between a pro's work and an amateur's. I mean no offense by
this. When I did my car, I knew that Nick could do a vastly better job than
I could, so I let him do all the work. As you say, it's a blow to the ego,
but this fellow may see things that you've done wrong, or things that are
inconsistent with the result you hope to achieve. He made need to take a
few steps back to get things to a point where both of you are happy.

Sounds to me like a good talk between the two of you may be in order to
clarify things. Based on my experience, what he's asking may be a fair
price.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (Will run forever on cash)