Bigger 6 into the '6 [was 4.3 ltr. Triumph]

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bigger 6 into the '6 [was 4.3 ltr. Triumph]
From: ingate@horizon.com
Date: 27 Aug 2000 23:05:45 -0000
Jack Drews wrote:
        > The popular conversion for more horsepower seems to be V6's or V8's.
        > I wonder if anybody has tried a newer straight six - there are several
        > around that have lots more hp than the Triumph, and it would
        > seem that the steering column and other pieces wouldn't be disturbed
        > so much.

As much as I love our old 2.5 litre push-rod 6, the thoughts of decent
horsepower
from the following is a pleasant diversion: any BMW straight 6, preferably
in M-guise, Jag 3.8 OHC, Chrysler (Australia) 4.3 litre hemi-head with 3x45
DCOEs
(315 horsepower, 'onest Gov'!), and (perish the thought) 2.8 litre Toyota Celica
and 2.4 litre Datsun Z.  All these motors make great horsepower, with great
after-market hop-up items (albeit at a price for the Bimmer and Jag
donks).  And they have the sound to match.

But its as much a fantasy as a night on the town with Pamela Anderson....there
just
is not enough space under the hood for these long blocks.  Cannot go any further
forward without fouling the front frame cross-member, and moving further back
will place the transmission behind the front seats (well, almost ;).

Have I forgotten anything?

"I'll be there in a minute, Pam!".

Shane Ingate
Melbourne, Fl