Re: TR4 jacking

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 jacking
From: Don Marshall <marshall@nefcom.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:55:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
At 10:51 AM 8/28/00 -0500, you wrote:
>The orignal point of my post was to determine that the front crossmember and
>the pumpkin were proper jacking points.  I have had cars in which they were
>not.  Jacking on the front crossmember of a Quantum Syncro can wreck the
>crossmember.  Jacking the pumpkin on an early RX7 will cause diff leaks.
>This is the kind of thing I need to know about the TR4 before I destroy
>something.

Phil...

The TR4 the factory shop manual specifically says to "raise the rear end
using a trolley jack under the centre of the rear axle and place chassis
stands under the chassis side members forward of the rear springs".  It
also says to raise the front, "place a hydraulically operated trolley jack
under the front crossmember centrally between the front wheels and place
chassis stands under the chassis side members rearward of the front
suspension".

It also has pictures of a TR4 raised in the front and another raised in the
rear by a large floor jack, using the crossmember and differential.  You're
doing it the factory way.  As to the question of the 2x4s, I've never seen
the need for anything between the stands and the frame, but then none of
mine have been concours quality.

Cheers...
Don