Rust removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust removal
From: Dietmar Schlei <dschlei@pressenter.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:26:04 -0500
Dear  List

Has anybody any info or advise on ziebart's rust removal/protection
treatment.  I contacted their customer service whether they can handle the
rusty belly of my 1963 TR4.  They said "YES".  for $ 150 they would scrape
off flaking rust, power wash thecar, apply their rust converter chemical
and follow-up with a protective coating.

Any info whether that is a good idea (I am not in a position to remove the
body/engine/ transmission that is required by most sandblasting outfits
that I contacted).  I would like to prevent the rust from doing any more
damage to the belly until I can have it done by a professional rebuilder.

Any other suggestions how to attack the rust?

Thanks for your help to a Triumph novice.  I bought the car 4 weeks ago for
$2000.- (it runs well, only the waterpump is leaking oil, I can handle that
kind of work), and I am willing to put some money into the car to get it
into good shape.

Dietmar Schlei

38 Olds Business Coupe
63 TR 4