RE: TR4 Compression Test

To: "'greenman62@hotmail.com'" <greenman62@hotmail.com>, ArthurK101@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 Compression Test
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:15:04 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Comment on "is this low?"
Make sure to take all the plugs out, prop open the throttle, and try to
crank the engine the same number of revolutions for each cyl test.  the psi
number also is affected by the style gauge, to some degree.  Comp gauges
with the long rubber tube will read a bit lower, as the combustion chamber
compressed volume now includes the gauges' volume, thus lowering the
absolute reading.
I usually take an extra measure of scrutiny on cyl #4, as it is generally
the hottest ( temp) one and suffers first. ( insufficient valve clearance
aside..) Yours looks OK from that standpoint,  and is within the +/- 10%
range.  Drive on!
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967E

>Guys and gals,  how does this sound for a TR4 compression test results?
>Someone off the lists has asked my opinion on a car he is looking at and I
>can't find the specs.  The car will not be used for racing.  Any help much
>appreciated.
>
> > compression test was 115/125/120/115 by cylinder.
>
>Cheers.
>Art Kelly

    Sounds a tad low... Pr'apps a tired engine... Rings most likely
    Were it my motor I'd do a general rebuild...