RE: On the slippery slope....

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: On the slippery slope....
From: "Eric Conrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:04:09 -0700
I guess I cannot offer moral support for just fixing what's wrong, and
leaving it at that.  I also chose to do a frame-off restoration.  I
purchased the car for a VERY fair price in April, 1999, got it running and
driving with significant help from several list members (Mike, Bud, Tom).
September, 1999 was a "bad" month for the '6.  As I drove on the highway, I
began to hear a sound not dissimilar from a hammer hitting the engine block.
You bettcha, engine rebuild time.
Fourteen months later, and too much money to count right now (without
hyperventilating), I'm nearing the point that I can lower the body back onto
the frame.  What have I done, you might ask?
List of accomplishments:
* Frame restored, welded, beefed up, painted.
* Suspension powdercoated (thanks Wayne Whippo), refurbished, renewed, and
reassembled
* Body media blasted, primered, hammered, welded, & 1/2 painted (underside,
engine bay, and everywhere that we cannot see with body panels on.)
* Engine block machined (awaiting reassembly), head machined and
reassembled, crank machined, and the whole thing balanced.
* Refurbished the brakes, differential, hydraulics.
* Purchased a J-type overdrive transmission that is in fantastic shape for
the car (thanks Mike).
* I've also managed to purchase a lot of new things.
* I have also managed to refurbish many existing parts that would be
expensive to replace.
* I'm also learning how to paint and do body work - a definite plus when I
think about wanting to restore another car some day.
I still have a lot of work left, but I can say I've enjoyed every damn
minute - sometimes it is a love/hate relationship.  I am very glad for the
friends I've made through this car, I'm happy with what I've been able to
accomplish, and I will be ecstatic when the car makes it to VTR in
Breckenridge.  I'll be able to see several list members that I have had the
opportunity to already meet in person (Fred Thomas comes immediately to
mind), and I'll hopefully be able to meet more list members.
Bottom-lining it:  I've enjoyed my TR6's restoration.  It isn't for
everyone, but if you already feel shipwrights disease setting in, then I
would bet money that you will enjoy your restoration also.
Eric Conrad
'76 TR6 - CF52678U