Summary - TR6 overdrive does not fit

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Summary - TR6 overdrive does not fit
From: pbrzozoski@netscape.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:46:25 -0500
All,
Thanks for the replies on this query. (I got quite a few, so this must be a
topic many of us have had to deal with.)

The findings: Two different frame types were used in the TR6.  The changeover
occured from the 72 and 73 model years (Comm #s also changed from CC to CF).
The early type frame has the mounting point for the cross piece forward and
flush with the top of the frame.
The later frame has the mounting point for the cross piece rearward and down
about 1" from the top of the frame.
The later frame mounting point also has three holes, which allows you to bolt
the crossmember in one of two positions.

The mounting points on the non-OD tranny and on the "A" type OD tranny are
located in the same position - directly atop the cross piece of an early
frame.
The mounting point on a "F" type OD tranny is further back and is directly
atop the cross piece (when bolted in the rearmost two holes) of the later
frame.
An additional bracket is required to mount a non-OD tranny in a later frame.
This additional bracket (along with bolting the cross piece to the frontmost
two holes) moves the frame's mounting point forward & up.
It sounds like you could mount an "A" type OD in a later frame if you had the
previous setup.

The outcome to my specific problem is that I have an earlier type frame in my
74 driver car.
(Can you imagine, after owning a car 23+ years I come to find that it had its
frame changed before I bought it?)
My options are: 1) cut and weld the mounts further back and lower on frame,
2) fabricate an adapter bracket,  3) get an "A" type OD or  4) put it back
together without OD.
Note: If I choose options 3 or 4 I may have a "J" type OD for sale.

Thanks again.

Phil
Pepperell, Ma.
Two 74 TR6s (one with a pre-73 frame)