Re: Engine Removal 72 TR 6

To: Tom Wagner - Program Manager <Tom.W.Wagner@central.sun.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Removal 72 TR 6
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:03:50 -0600
Yes,  the crossmember does need to be removed. Don't forget to put it back
in! I know one person who reassembled everything else (fan, radiator, cowl,
coolant, etc.) before noticing the crossmember sitting in the corner.

It is possible to remove the engine and transmission as one piece but since
the engine weighs less and is easier to maneuver by itself I prefer to
remove the transmission first.  On the TR-6 the transmission comes out
through the passenger compartment and can be done by one person (you'll
want an assistant the first time you do it). Once all the bolts are out and
you're ready to pull the transmission you must support the engine with a
floor jack under the oil pan (or something) or you will have a lot of
difficulty sliding the engine and transmission apart. You want the
transmission input shaft perfectly perpendicular to the clutch/flywheel
(which it slides into), so it is possible to raise the engine too much but
they usually come apart easily when things are lined up.

Cheers,

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com