dash veneer thread (again)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: dash veneer thread (again)
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 10:14:34 -0500
Hi all,

(I've looked through the archives on this but there doesn't
seem to be a comprehensive "how to.")

The veneer on my dash is cracking and lifting in many places.
I think it's beyond repair, and want to strip the old veneer
and replace it with something close to the original factory
appearance.  So here are my questions:

1.  How get the old veneer up?  Some posts, going back to '97,
seem to say that it's paper thin and could just be lifted with
a knife.

2.  Where do I find a suitable replacement?  One post explained
that TRF & co. use American walnut, which is much darker than
the English stuff of the originals.  Does anyone have any BTDT
for the original look?  Do Rimmer or Kipping sell better stuff?

3.  How do you cut out the holes for guages-- just a sharp knife?

4.  How did you cleverly replace the rotted gasket stuff behind
the gauge bezels?

thanks!

--
Douglas Frank Compaq Computer Corp.  Lead, n.  A metal, useful as
ZKO           110 Spit Brook Rd.      counterpoise to an argument