Re: Replacing Fuel Filters (TR6 et al)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing Fuel Filters (TR6 et al)
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 10:20:57 EST
Martin asked about replacing TR6 fuel filters...

I did this as part of my recent fuel pump project (I'll write
up the solution to that mess in another message).

Yes, if you just pull the filter from the supply line
gravity will quickly make a mess with gas flowing from
the tank.  You have to plug that line quickly, and keep
it plugged while you deal with the filter and its clamps.

I use a short length of wood dowel which I taper slightly
with my belt sander (a session with your pocket knife works
just about as well).  Make the end small enough to go into
the hose connecting to the line from the tank, with a
smooth taper up to a size big enough to stop the flow.  Some
folks use a Philips screw driver, but I like the dowel better.

So, pull the filter, plug the supply line, catch the small
dribble from the filter in a can, and then work calmly
on the old and new filters.  Then do a quick pull of the
plug, and put the new filter into the supply hose.  Thighten
clamps and done.  You'll spill a little gas, but not much.

I used a clear plastic filter (from NAPA) as a replacement.
I like being able to see that gas has made it that far
if there's a fuel problem.

And a PO of my car added a second filter (also clear) in
the hose connecting the fuel pump steel line to the
carbs.  Same idea, be able to see if fuel is available
at the carb inlet if there's problems.

Cheers,
Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com