Re: restoration record keeping

To: naffy@netins.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: restoration record keeping
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:29:42 EST
In a message dated 00-11-29 22:09:28 EST, naffy@netins.net writes:

<< Also am wondering about some kind of journal to keep track of experiences
 thoughts and happenings.  Do people try to keep track of hours worked?? or
 is it too depressing to add up ALL the costs of a restoration??LOL

 I have taken some photo's but sometimes find that I get going taking things
 off/apart without makeing adequate records.......ideas?? >>

Gary,

I'm relying heavily on my photos for capturing the history and evolution of
my restoration.  I've made some notes - mostly during disassembly of the
chassis/suspension - of certain things which I felt could stump me during
re-assembly.  I have to admit though, I haven't kept track of the time that
I've spent on my project.....since I still approach this project as a hobby
and/or mental therapy, I'm not planning to look back on my sweat equity hours
in any detail.  I am keeping records of all parts/supplies costs.

I've started a spreadsheet for the total costs which capture my personally
incurred costs plus summarize the costs incurred from my restoration shop.
I'm hoping to break down the major restoration phases....like chassis,
suspension, brakes, engine, diff, trans, body (doors, tub, paint prep,
painting, etc) a little bit finer eventually.  I'm trying to work within a
budget - so far, the major phases seem to be within reason....I've probably
gone over budget in some areas but it'll be worth it....ha, ha,....good thing
my wife doesn't read this.....

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (chassis finished - working on body & engine)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (tucked away for a long winter's nap)