RE: restoration record keeping

To: "Gary Nafziger" <naffy@netins.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: restoration record keeping
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 13:37:17 -0500
Gary,

I am coming in on this thread after much discussion but I have an
interest in this... I have done a major piece of work to document
and inventory all the parts and services I have purchased for the
restoration of my TR4.  I have also taken lots of photos and
developed a restoration website to help new TR4 enthusiasts
through their early experiences.

I have been in the computer business for 38 years and consider
PCs to be my other hobby.  I developed a database application
using Microsoft Access to enter my expenses and to track
inventory value and location.  During the restoration process I
have acquired a lot spares and wanted to keep track of them and
where they are stored.  I track things like Quantity, part
number, description, list price, discount, net price, vendor,
Category, condition, location, purchase date, install date,
Vendor invoice number.  I also keep the TRF price database joined
to retrieve uniform descriptions and list price.  This also helps
with putting a value on used spares.

It also helps me document the work and investment to my insurance
company and vintage auto insurance appraiser.  It will also be
useful information some day if I sell the car... both as an
information asset for the buyer and to support my asking price.

One accidental and dangerous piece of information that this
generated is how much I had spent on the car.  I took that
subtotal out of one of the reports.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L so to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com