Re: Paint stripping

To: fergie@ntplx.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint stripping
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 23:23:58 EST
Michael,

It's too bad that the weather in Connecticut is cold, because I think that
paint stripper is the way to go.  I used the "smelly" Aircraft Stripper
bought from an automotive paint store used in combination with a high
pressure power washer.  I had less success with the same brand of oderless
aircraft stripper.  It took about a day to remove about 80-90% with the power
washer, with several recoats.  The rest came off with a wire brush and
solvesnt with the real stubborn areas having to be sanded,  This paint
stripper is not for the faint hearted.  You must suit up properly and cover
all exposed skin,eyes, etc., this stuff burns like napalm and doesn't wash
off easily.  In the course of a day it will eat through several pairs of
chemical resistant gloves.  I wore two pair at all times, changing the inner
to the outer as they dissolved.

If you decide to sand with an electric you will have to do it dry which will
cause the sandpaper to clog and become uselss in a shpet time, you will need
a lot of sandpaper.

Just my $.02,

Gary Bouffard