Re: Paint stripping

To: fergie@ntplx.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint stripping
From: TexasTR4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:51:04 EST
In a message dated 12/05/2000 5:10:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fergie@ntplx.net writes:

<<  Porter Cable makes a variable
 speed (6000 RPM max) random orbit 5" or 6" sander/polisher (with
 vacuum attachment), but I wonder if I'd be better off with one of the 4 1/2"
 grinders (10K RPM) with a sanding wheel (no vac, as far as I've seen so
 far). Milwaukee makes a nice one with an available sanding attachment. I
 don't have either and would like to buy the one that would be the most
 useful after this project is complete. I'm guessing that would be the
 grinder, but am open to suggestions. OTOH, I'm probably going to do this in
 my garage, and a vacuum might be a REAL good idea! >>

Mike,

Go easy on the sanders, they can cut throught he paint before you know it and
the last thing you want is wavy metal.

I have a random orbital with the little bag attachment.  Don't count on this
to catch more than about 10% of the dust created, but the machine works well
on big flat areas.  Stick with a 230 grit or so so you wont cut too far too
fast.

The 10k rpm sounds like a grinder and not suited to roughening up the paint
for a respray.

Now having said all that, I am NOT an expert in paint or preparation by any
means....I just observe and watch Norm on home and garden TV.

RH