6 volt coils in Saloons

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 6 volt coils in Saloons
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:12:04 -0600
Esteemed lovers of all things Triumph,

I have been chasing the various ills in my 2.5 PI Saloon, not the least of
which is a poor running condition over 3000 rpm, and a problem getting the
thing to start in the first place. It takes an extraordinary long time to
fire, then runs OK up to 3000 rpm. Just don't try gunning it up a steep
hill! I was troubleshooting the ignition system and came across something in
the manual that I'd missed. All the various models call for a 6 volt coil in
conjunction with the in-wire ballast resistor. The car has a 12 volt  Lucas
coil. What connection does this have to the running problems? FWIW, this car
has been modified to 2500TC specs with a 150HP PI cam.

Bob Kramer
TR4, TR4A, TR6, 2.5 Saloon
rgk@flash.net