RE: TR4 cylinder liners

To: "'Steven Newell'" <steven@cravetechnology.com>, Twistblts@aol.com, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 cylinder liners
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:44:10 -0500
Steve wrote:
The thinner walls of the bored liner may contribute to overheating issues
slightly. While it'll cost slightly less to bore the old liners, it's likely
false
economy. The 87mm liners are engineered for 87mm pistons, get a
matched set.

Hmmmm....   interesting proposition.  I'm not so sure the likelihood of over
heating is caused by the thinner walls. With a thinner sleeve, the heat
produced by combustion gasses and piston ring friction has a shorter path to
travel before it reaches the water in the jackets.  I think this should
serve to reduce the temperature at the inside (piston) surface of the
thinner  liner.  On the other hand, the 87 mm bore raises the compression
ratio and also burns a bit more fuel, because of the added engine
displacement.  Both of these contribute to hotter engines,  no doubt.
        Be sure to ask the Machinist about set up time for this job, as
nobody rides for free.
Have Fun-
Bob Westerdale
59 3A  TS36967