Re: New Piggot book

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Piggot book
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:02:55 +0100
Date sent:              Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:53:18 -0800 (PST)
From:                   Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
To:                     triumphs@autox.team.net
Send reply to:          Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>

So, does the new book understand that what was true in
the UK market was not true for the rest of the world (in
particular, the US)? A lot of his "definitive" statements
were flat out wrong.
Hello everbody,
There were 3 books about TR 2 to 6 from Bill Piggott ,1 from 1991
and 2 from 1998.
The first 91: ORIGINAL TRIUMPH TR   ISBN 1 870979 24 9 covers
all models
The 2nd  98: ORIGINAL TRIUMPH TR2/3/3A  ISBN 1 901432 03 3
covers this models in more detail.
The 3rd 98: ORIGINAL TRIUMPH TR4/4A/5/6/  ISBN  1901432 04 1
again covers the indicated models in more detail
In fact the later 2 books superseede the first one.
In addition Bill published a next book covering TR7/8  ISBN code
unknown to me.
Concerning the facts in his Introduction Bill states:
Quote: I cannot claim that this book is free of errors.The subject is
vast, and the potential for detail nit-picking is huge.I have tried with
help from many expert mentioned later to make it as accurate as
possible,but I have to stress that the responsibility for any
mistakes is solely mine.
Unquote.
Most of you know that Triumphs were assembled in more than one
country and were built sometimes with a mix of parts. This makes
it almost impossible to correct in all fields. There are still endless
discussions going on with the TR3A's front aprons and no one
knows what happened exactly when, at the period building cars
was more important than keeping archives up to date.
Having said this, accept the books as very good guidance material
to restoration ,but remember they are not the HOLY BIBEL.
Best regards
Jean R  - from Europe