Re: Aux. Oil Line to Head

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, GHaynesTR4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aux. Oil Line to Head
From: "Mike Kitchener" <mikek@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:13:20 +0100
Cc: paul-m@mweb.co.za
George
Check that the oil passage from pedestal to shaft is correctly
aligned when the locking bolt is tight,often it isn't.Re-drill if
necessary and clean.
FWIW
Something that I've read but never tried....Plug the rocker vent
holes so that oil is forced through the rocker bushes instead of out
through the top.
The same author reckoned that the auxilliary oil line could be
dangerous for the rest of the engine if too much oil went to the
rockers and not enough to the main bearings etc.
This could also increase oil consumption if the valve guides are
worn.

> Upon tearing my 1972 GT6 engine down, I discovered a badly worn rocker shaft
> and several worn rockers.  Not hard to see why folks install an auxilliary
> oil line to the cylinder head.  Would this be necessary if the engine is
> being completely rebuilt, with frequent oil changes anticipated once running?
>  Or is there another way to ensure adequate oil to the rockers, ie, a little
> oil passage enlarging here and there?
> Thanks!
> George Haynes

Mike Kitchener