TR7 Won't Hold an Idle

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 Won't Hold an Idle
From: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), BMSLS" <rhansen@att.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:02:25 -0500
Fellow LisTRs -
Last night I purchased (but have not yet received) a 1981 TR7 with fuel
injection. The car has an immaculate body and paint job. The tan interior is
not all that great (and doesn't match the new orange, formerly green, paint
job anyway). It needs a new top.
But, more importantly, the engine won't hold an idle. With my foot (or
anyone's, I guess) on the gas pedal holding the RPMs at 2000, it purrs like
a kitten. But, immediately after releasing the gas, it stalls. Also, there
are four "pipes" coming off the plenum chamber going toward the driver's
side of the car and they all have either electrical or duct tape on them.
Vacuum problem? Depressurize the fuel injection system?
I'm looking for any advice that this esteemed list can give me in diagnosing
and repairing this problem. Please help!!
BTW, I figured for 900 bucks and no delivery charge, the car was a steal. I
hope that you who like the TR7/8 models will agree!!?? The owner will be
driving it to my home, about 35 miles, in a few days.
Thanks,
Red Hansen
'58 TR3A TS41439 - still on jack stands
'74 TR6 CF13994 - engine work's done; now the interior replacement
'81 TR7 ???????????? - Daddy has a new toy!